Monday, May 5, 2008

A life of Worship and Mercy

I have decided to memorize Romans 12 this month and I was so encouraged by a sermon by John Piper on this passage. I have been reminded that all acts of service, without love for God or the other people, are just in vain. Here is a clip from the sermon.


"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1

"We must never let the Christian life drift into a mere social agenda. I use the word “mere” carefully, because if God is left out, our mercy will be mere social agenda. We do no one good in the end if we are not worshipping and leading them to worship in the acts of mercy that we do. If our good deeds are not expressing the worth of God, then our deeds are not worship, and in the end will not be merciful. Making people comfortable or helping them feel good on the way to everlasting punishment, without the hope and the design that they see Christ in your good deeds, is not mercy. Mercy must aim to make much of Christ. For no one is saved who doesn't meet and make much of Christ. And not to care about saving is not merciful." - John Piper

(see www.desiringgod.org for the rest of the sermon)


*the above picture was taken on Sunday afternoon - we walked outside to go to our church picnic, and these were most of the kids that were on our porch or in our front yard. Thank you, Lord for this special time and place that you have called me and my family!


post signature

4 comments:

These Three Kings said...

wait a minute..why did I think the little girl in the back off to the side with the pink top on was kaiya!!! LOL!!!
how did I miss this one.. soo good, I knew you would like that!! ahhhhhh, I love westcott!! Westside!!!!!

annieck said...

AWESOME message!!! One we all need to hear. Thank you SO much for sharing.
As usual, I stand in awe of all that you and your family are doing. What a difference you are making!!! Thank you for encouraging us all to do what God has called us to do. The Great Commission is not a choice...we were told do it. You are a prime example of what it should look like.
Blessings to you all!

HoodMama said...

Incredible and I love the pic. You are an amazing encouragement to me!

Jill Williamson said...

boo hoo...that's what i am doing. Love the quote from John Piper...oh, who true...so good my friend...