Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Keeping the main thing, the main thing

After attending our annual conference with our entire staff team, I came home so encouraged.  One of the biggest encouragements was the extended time I got to spend with our staff - I really felt part of a team and was reminded that I am part of this amazing ministry.  I know that sounds kind of funny, but when I am home all day with my boys and my house duties, it is easy to forget the big picture.  My neighbors are my neighbors and the kids that come over are my boys friends.  I have wonderful neighbors and my kids have great friends - so using the word ministry seems like work, when really I have been so blessed and ministered to by the people around me.  Now, 85 kids in an after school program - that is WORK!!!  Don't get me wrong, we are all called to be ministering to the people around us, no matter where we live.  So I hope my neighbors sense the love of Christ, and his grace and mercy when they are around me.  It's just that I hope those who are looking in from the outside can see how blessed I am, and that I am not just slaving away in a place I don't want to be.  

Don't worry, I am getting to my point :)  

I have a friend who offered to babysit for me on Tuesday mornings so I can attend the staff meetings ( and then run a few needed errands).  I really think this will be a great way for me to weekly be reminded of the big picture.  I was able to attend my first one today and I can already tell what a blessing it will be.  My favorite part is the devotional time that Bryan leads at the beginning.  Let me tell you, I was SO convicted!   We read in Hebrews about the atoning sacrifice of Christ.  Bryan wanted to remind us of this truth - the cross of Christ is our CENTER.  It is what separates us from being just social services.  There is no hope for redemption of souls or this neighborhood apart from His power and His work on the cross.  Another main point, is that we can do all these wonderful, biblical things for all the wrong reasons.  We can do them to boost our own egos.  We can do them, but have no love.  We can live each day without drawing on Christ's power, thinking we can do it in our own strength.  

Will you please pray for us, that we would show Christ AND preach him?  That our motives would be pure? That we would rely on Him alone?  We would really appreciate it!

post signature

1 comment:

Ella said...

loved this, delta. thank you for sharing your heart! so convicting.